|resources:||FAQ Feedback Home Installation Source Code Screenshots|
Install Dynamic Links version 0.1 now (and then restart Mozilla).
Alternatively, download Dynamic Links XPI file to install the extension later. How?
[Check that Software Installation is enabled, then] open the file in Mozilla by dragging it to the browser window; by opening it using File | Open File; by typing the location into the location bar; or (in Windows) by double-clicking on the XPI file and telling Windows to open .xpi files using Mozilla. (source)Note 1: Backup of chrome directory and user profile directory is recommended before making non-trivial changes.
- The chrome directory is where all the files that describe the user interface used by Mozilla are located. (source) The chrome directory is one of subdirectories in the Mozilla installation directory and extensions are typically installed here.
- The user profile directory contains user-related information. Extensions may use it for storing user preferences.
De-installationMozilla 1.0 Frequently Asked Questions (June 2002) answers the question How do I uninstall something installed from an XPI? in the following way:
There is not yet a method of automatically uninstalling XPIs other than themes. However, when you have uninstalled Mozilla prior to installing a new build, you can manually remove the unwanted XPI.Here is a description how to completely de-install Dynamic Links manually (even without the need to reinstall Mozilla itself):
- exit Mozilla,
- delete XUL.mfl file from your profile directory,
- remove all preferencies containing string "extension.dynamiclinks." from file prefs.js in your profile directory [there are 20 such preferences/lines],
- remove line containing the word dynamiclinks from installed-chrome.txt file in the chrome directory,
<RDF:Description about="urn:mozilla:package:dynamiclinks" c:baseURL="jar:resource:/chrome/dynamiclinks.jar!/content/" c:locType="install" c:displayName="DynamicLinks" c:author="Jiri Boucek" c:name="DynamicLinks" />and
i.e. file chrome/overlayinfo/communicator/content/overlays.rdf:
and file chrome/overlayinfo/navigator/content/overlays.rdf: